Department of Textile Technology
In accordance with the suggestions made by Dr. C.P Ramaswamy Iyer at the inagural meeting of the University of Travancore in 1937, a faculty of technology was immediately formed. Sri. N.K Padmanabha Pillai who was the Director of Registration and Registrar of Joint Stock Companies was appointed on special duty from 9 th march 1938 to organize industrial and vocation education in the university. Two institutions were started with this objective, of which the earlier one was the Institute of Textile Technology, Trivandrum started in 1938-39 and the latter one was the college of Engineering Trivandrum started in 1939-40. The Institute of Textile Technology was the only one of its kind in South India at the time of inception.
During the second world war Govt. Of India Established a War technicians Training centre in the institute of Textile Technology. The institute also supplied a considerable amount of clothing for war purposes.
In September 1957 the Department of Technical education of the Kerala Govt took over the institute. This Was a turning point in the history of this institute.The course later shifted to the Central Polytechnic College. The department offers both a three year diploma programme and a certificate course in Textile Technology. The department has 9 faculty members and 6 supporting staff. It has well equipped labs to perform the latest experiments as per the industrial requirement.
List of Laboratories
- Yarn Manufacturing Lab
- Fabric Manufacturing Lab
- Fashion Designing and Garment Technology Lab
- Textile Wet Processing Lab
- Textile Testing Lab